Types of Electronic Visas for India and reason of travel:
The e-Tourist Visa India or e-Visa is an official document and entry requirement to travel to and within India for any of the following reasons:
- Medical Treatment
- Medical Companion of Patient
1. e-Tourist Visa Information
The e-Tourist Visa for India or e-Visa is an official document and entry requirement to travel to and within India for any of the following reasons:
- Meeting friends/relatives
- Medical treatment
This visa is a multiple entry visa with a maximum stay of 90 days per visit. Citizens of Canada, Japan, United Kingdom and United States are allowed to stay for a maximum of 180 days.
2. e-Business Visa Information:
The e-Business Visa for India is available for citizens from eligible countries to ensure travel authorization to India for any of the following reasons:
- To set up industrial/business venture
- For sales/purchases or trade
- To attend technical/business meetings
- To recruit manpower
- To participate in exhibitions or business/trade fairs
- Expert/specialist in connection with an on-going project
- To conduct tours
- To deliver lecture(s) under Global Initiative for Academic Networks (GIAN)
This visa is a multiple entry visa with a maximum stay of 180 days.
3. e-Medical Patient Visa information:
The e-Medical Patient Visa for India is granted to foreign nationals traveling to India for short-term medical treatments. It is granted only to the patient and not to family members or accompanying travelers.
The Indian visa for medical travelers is a triple-entry visa allowing the holder to enter the country a total of 3 times with the same visa with a validity of 60 days from the first entry.
4. e-Medical Companion of Patient Visa information:
The e-Medical Companion of Patient Visa for India is granted to foreign nationals traveling to India to accompany a patient having short-term medical treatment. It is granted only to companions of the patient.
In order to obtain a Companion of Patient Medical e-Visa, the applicant must provide information from the patient e-Visa. Only two (2) e-Medical Companion of Patient Visas will be granted for each e-Medical Patient Visa.
The Indian e-Medical Companion of Patient visa allows the holder to enter the country a total of 3 times with the same visa with a validity of 60 days from the first entry.
e-Visa India Instructions:
- This is a non-extendible and non-convertible visa.
- The e-Visa is not valid for visiting Protected/Restricted and Cantonment Areas.
- The applicant’s passport must be valid for at least six (6) months from the date of arrival and it must have at least two blank pages for the immigration and border control officer to place the entry and exit stamps.
- All applicants must have an individual passport regardless of age.
- Applicants are required to carry a copy of their e-Visa at all times during their stay.
- e-Visa holders are required to have a return flight ticket or an onward ticket when making the application.
- All applicants must have sufficient funds to support themselves during their entire stay in India.
Important note: The e-Visa is not available to International Travel Document Holders or to applicants with a Diplomatic passport. Citizens from Pakistan or Pakistani passport holders are required to submit a regular visa application..
Evidence requirements for e-Visas:
- A scanned color copy of the of the biographical page of the applicant’s current passport.
- Recent passport-style color photo:
- It must show a full, clear, and front view of the applicants face.
- Must have a white background.
- Head should be centered and in focus.
- Applicant's head, including both face and hair, should be shown from the crown of the head to the tip of the chin.
Additional evidence requirements for e-Business Visas:
Along with the previously mentioned documents, for the e-Business Visa for India, applicants must also provide the following:
- Business Card.
- Answer certain questions regarding the sending and receiving organizations.
Additional evidence requirements for e-Medical Visas:
Along with the previously mentioned documents, for the e-Medical Visa for India, applicants must also provide the following:
- Letter from hospital.
- Answer questions concerning the hospital in India that will be visited.
At the moment of application, it is not necessary to have the evidence requirements as you can provide them at a later date.
Yellow Fever requirements
All those arriving from Yellow Fever affected countries are required to present a Yellow Fever Vaccination Card.
The Indian Government requests a Yellow Fever Vaccination Card for all citizens from the following countries:
Angola, Argentina, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Colombia, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, French Guyana, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Kenya, Liberia Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Suriname, South Sudan, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Venezuela.
Important note: Applicants who fail to provide a Yellow Fever Vaccination card when one is required will be quarantined up to six (6) days, after arrival.
Authorised landing airports
The Indian e-Visa (e-Visa) is valid for entry through designated Airports and designated seaports:
- Mangalore Seaport
- Mumbai Seaport
- Chennai Seaport
- Cochin Seaport
- Goa Seaport
Applicants can depart from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts in India:
If arriving at any other port of entry, applicants are required to apply for a traditional Indian visa at the nearest embassy or consulate.
To apply for an e-Visa for India, applicants are required to have a current passport, email address and a credit card.
The information provided in the online application such as name, date and place of birth, gender, marital status, address, nationality and passport number, needs to be exactly the same as shown in the passport. Applicants will need to travel with the passport linked to the online application.
Applicants will also need to answer a few simple background questions to determine their eligibility to enter India, e.g.; current job, if they have sufficient funds to support themselves during their entire stay in India.
To apply for the e-Visa for India, eligible applicants may submit their e-Tourist, e-Business or e-Medical Visa online application here.